Now that it is officially party season,* I thought I might like to offer a few tips for for a successful season**. Some people*** are very experienced and adept party-goers, but I've come to realize that most of us can benefit from a few reminders!
So, here they are:
1. RSVP = "Répondez s'il vous plaît", a French phrase that asks you to "please respond", whether to confirm attendance or to decline the invitation. It requires, then, a YES or NO answer, not, simply, "I'm calling to RSVP."
Letting your host know whether or not you will attend very often makes a difference in the amount of food or chairs needed, whether or not parking is adequate, and eases worry over whether everyone has arrived safely to the party destination.
2. Guests do not invite guests. . . that is, without asking the host if it is okay. Spouses (boyfriends/girlfriends, whatever you want to call them) are usually okay, unless you have received a formal invitation (like to a wedding) and there is no mention of a guest attending with you.
Usually, your guests may be welcome, but ASK FIRST.
3. Children may be welcome, but, again, ASK FIRST. If the invitation was addressed to your family, children should be welcome!
Please do NOT bring children to an obviously adult party**** and, if you do bring your children, PLEASE SUPERVISE THEM.
If there is a swimming pool on the premises, or if the party is beside a lake or on the beach, DO NOT TAKE YOUR EYE OFF OF YOUR CHILDREN. It is not anyone's responsibility to keep them safe but yours.
4. Pay attention to the HOUSE RULES. If there ARE any, that is! :-) At Osd Cu Buidhe, we have only a few, but they are very important!
- If you see a closed door, DO NOT OPEN.***** We have cats who are not allowed outside, but I shouldn't need to justify this, as it is my house.****** Mind your manners! :-)
- Absolutely NO GLASS near the pool. We have many plastic choices for your favorite beverage.
- The refrigerator in the kitchen is off-limits, unless you live in my house or I have given birth to you. You are welcome to enjoy whatever you find in the refrigerator in the garage. You are also welcome to ADD anything to the refrigerator in the garage. Sharing is a good thing!
- NEVER put your drink on the piano!
- No Wet Seats in the house, please. HEY, if we're all outside, that's where you should be, as well.
- Come prepared to have fun! Please do NOT attempt to use my computer or watch my television or sit and text your friends. Play with me, and my other guests, or go home.
5. A good party is only as good as the guests make it!*******
You were invited to a PARTY, not a movie! Please do not sit and wait to be entertained. . . engage in conversation, participate in the planned games or activites, offer to help with the cooking or serving refreshments, etc.
Being a good guest is so much more important than being able to throw a good party!
6. Remember to thank your host/hostess for a marvelous
time. You're sure to be invited back next time! :-)
* officially, summer (and, officially, my
** officially, EVERY season is party season at Osd Cu Buidhe!
*** Cliar Cu Buidhe
**** one that might include whoring, public drunkenness or unbridled thievery
***** DO NOT OPEN, really!
****** Hey, there could be ANYTHING in there!
******* this is the most important one!
The 7th Annual Cliar Cu Buidhe Birthday Bash is next Saturday, July 4th. If you don't have any plans to celebrate that day, and would like to help us celebrate our birthday, drop me a line and I'll send you the details.
For the rest of you, have a safe and happy 4th of July!